Monday, February 29, 2016

Sunday 6 on Monday....
1. In keeping with my bringing more African/African-American history and themes to the discussion I just saw this video yesterday about the country's first and only Slavery Museum, called The Whitney Plantation. I had no idea that this place existed, and was surprised and happy to see it was started by a white guy. I am even more happy at his reasoning for it, 'Slavery is not an african-american history, but a national history'. Here is the link to video about this place, which he has spent over $8 million on... a paltry amount compared to the total money spent during the institution of slavery itself....

2. I read this article yesterday about a k-8 afrocentric school in Chicago that is facing closure due to low test scores. What I pulled from this article was that sent me down a rabbit hole is that there are no national numbers on the number of Afrocentric charter schools in this country. I am thinking of all of the ideas that could be shared if the schools were to start a community or network, especially since many Afrocentric schools share the same problems.

3. Thank you to Robert at sharbotini for posting the short essay written by Gail Farmer, Director of Education at the Schuylkill Center, I learned more bout the Nordic idea of
friluftsliv, which translates to 'free air life'. The idea of nature as home and a place that should be returned to on a daily basis. Students in Finland are given 15 minutes of this 'nature play' after each lesson to help recharge! Once again I see how contradictory things are.

4. Did anyone post this article from Slate Magazine two weeks ago? I hope not, because its talking about some of what we are all trying to figure out now, how to incorporate more technology into the classroom (yes I know we are always talking about equity, but this was a magazine guys...) and the lack of true support from districts in terms of training.

5. While on twitter I saw this link to a program that trains youth workers and counselors to lead independent outdoors trips with inner city students. I can remember being a part of different programs that took us on nature hikes, rafting, and skiing and remembering how cool it was getting out of the city. I also remember taking students on a hiking trip 2 summers ago and for all their complaining at first, how into the walk they were.

6. Right as I was about to post something else for my 6th and last point I came across this article that talks about the just published Facebook report on connectivity. It says that there are 4 problems as to why more than half the world is not connected, "availability, affordability, relevance and readiness." This report just highlights all we have been reading and saying about connectivity. Check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment