Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sunday 6-Communities

1. Shout out to Danielle over at dlevis.tumblr.com for introducing me to Nings. I am still lost about the definition. Why is it named Ning?1 Anyway, because of her blog I signed up to be a part of two new teacher support communities; Classroom 2.0 and Curriculum 21.

2. Because I love science and making a mess I often use ScienceBob, as well as this site.  I even had a young lady and her family take a picture after every experiment they did on the other site. I can say I saw at least 10 pictures from her during the course of the school year. Are you all a part of any science communities I should know about? I love a good project, and want to create the same love of science and mess making for my daughter that I have.

3. Through Twitter I am constantly reminded that this country has a huge problem with supporting urban schools. I follow @detriotteach and am constantly seeing pictures showing buildings 100 times worse than the ones we house our enemies in. How can we expect teachers to produce quality results when they are battling for basic human rights? How can we as an enlightened society accept children being taught in moldy schools? Oh yeah, they are OTHER peoples kids, many who don't look like those in schools where this would never happen....

                       

4. So I have been the owner of a crockpot for 10 years but have only used it twice. My girlfriend  Jasmine, who is vegan, makes the best soups, dinners and deserts, restaurant quality. Meanwhile I make horrible science experiments. Determined I joined this board on Pinterest to get my life together. I'll let you know how my first soup, which will be butternut squash, goes.

5. I am always on the lookout for the telling of black history form our own perspective. So with that said, and it still being Black History Month I figured I would let you all know that John Legend has produced a tv series called Underground, which looks like it will follow a group of slaves as they flee on freedom. The preview looks interesting, as it seems fast paced and is showing it from the perspective of the slaves, the slave masters, abolitionist, and those in between. We shall see, the opening in the preview in which each slave was described was very forward, and I am appreciating more stories of resistance being told from the perspective of blacks...


6. Lastly as we talk about communities what do you guys think about paid communities such as ABCMouse and such? I see their commercials ALL the times because of my daughter, and they are seriously rubbing me the wrong way. In most of the commercials that feature parents they say things like, 'this has helped me lay the foundation for his success'. What?! The parents take much of the learning from themselves and place it on this paid learning subscription. I have tried looking things up about the company, but stopped when I saw articles with people trying to link it to scientology...I have other yellow brick roads to travel down.....

Lastly...can you tell I am learning how to use more buttons on this blogger, don't laugh at me, but i hate just looking at words ALL the time and could use the introduction of pictures more in life. We all could...

No comments:

Post a Comment