Monday, February 1, 2016

Naming Equity and Inequities


This semester I would like to focus on Racial Justice as my 'topic'. This is something that connects deeply with me being an African-American who has been discriminated against because of my skin. Because of social media the hatred that many african-americans face daily in this country is being highlighted. Hastags such as #blacklivesmatter and #sayhername are just two examples of movements that have brought issues that many of us face in our individual lives to the collective forefront.


Racial Justice encompasses all aspects of life, and a topic under this idea that I think I would like to focus on further is racial educational justice. All of the stories and reports I have read leads me to the conclusion that America does not care for the education of poor students and students of color. This post I read from the class blog helps to further my point. How can we say we want all students to succeed because thats what makes America great when we have students learning in conditions where mushrooms are growing?


How can we push our students in poor schools or students of color when a majority of their schools hire teachers who do their 'Give back' time with us, then leave for greener pastures once they are done using little brown bodies for the experience they need...


I read the NPR story that highlights the disparity between people of color and women in the tech industry. I think this story is yet another example of the issues of diversity, access, and sexism we are facing as a nation.


As an educator I am always telling students that they have to learn what they can to fight for themselves. However I often have to remind myself that all information and institutions aren't equal. It is up to us as educators to help our students find the right concepts to continue the fight for equity and justice. This is where this idea of connectedness and equity come into play...

No comments:

Post a Comment