Monday, March 14, 2016

The Making of My Map

I can honestly say that this has been my most challenging masters class thus far. I am constantly wondering if I ‘Get It’ in terms of the concepts and my interpretations of them. Its also because I am not used to learning this way. Yes, I have done online classes before. However, they stuck to the Blackboard model, even when it was clear it wasn't working well. Learning this way; where we read what Christina puts up, then we are free to go off on our own is difficult. I have a VERY hard time staying focused, and an even harder time not clicking every site I see...

In thinking about what I am learning and where I am going just the concept of using the Internet as a way to fuel true student driven education was not something I even knew existed. So now I am wrapping my head around this concept along with how I can use it to challenge inspire and educate my students to be productive citizens in society.

So not to long ago I painted an entire wall in my office/spare bedroom with chalk paint. This wall was perfect for me to do this weeks assignment. While thinking about this course the word LEARNING was the first word that came to my head. The surrounding words all encapsulate where I am now and what I am thinking for the future. I am taking this class alongside a diversity & inclusive curricula class, so many of the conversations we have here overlap with the other class. Ideas around education, brown people, equity and inclusion are what’s in the forefront of many of my educational discussion. How can I use what I am learning here to be more effective in ‘growing’ my students?  I use the term growth because I realize that what I am trying to do with my students goes beyond ‘open a text book and copy’. I am trying to prepare my students for life, specifically their life. For many of my students their reality isn’t easy. They dodge many problems just making it to school, just to be short changed for one reason or another. How do I do this knowing the lack of resources many of the students I serve deal with? Many of the schools and students I serve have a hard time getting basic resources, let alone the stuff that fuels imagination. We don’t have money for toilet paper, let alone a STEM coach working with our Tech. teacher. How can what I envision help combat the hatred many of students face in society, while encouraging love for both themselves and their communities. How can it be a ‘change agent for them and their neighborhoods? Is there a way to marry both my education and ‘maker’ side? The last question, which for me is a little big is how can I bring what I do to the elementary side. For the past couple of years I have been managing programs for both elementary and middle, but realized that the little guys are way ore fun, and I can make impacts earlier, so how can this work?

With all of the questions listed above, where do I start?!? For my final project I am working on a website, and am wondering how much the type of platform I choose will influence the site. While thinking about this I am wondering if this question could help me begin to answer some of my other questions. And I haven’t even mentioned anything regarding my maker side. I am in the process of writing a business plan, and taking a much more serious look at what I do. I think its time, and this is a dream for me. So how can I continue doing it because I enjoy it and because everyone should be able to afford handmade quality items, while being able to sustain my family, specifically my beautiful baby?

This map was good for me to do. Like a true Virgo (not that I believe in that stuff much, lol) I am a planner. If not I go insane, and life as I know it ends. This exercise was really good for me to do, as it helped me continue to think and plan about where I want to be, where my time would be nest spent, and the impact I want to make in this world….


No comments:

Post a Comment