Friday, March 4, 2016

Friday 5-Making week

1. The Smithsonian Institution National Museum of African American History and Culture will collaborate with the Tuskegee University Archives to preserve and share significant parts of the nation's Civil Rights Era with the world. For those of you who dont know; Tuskegge University  is where the Tuskegee Airmen studied, was founded by Booker T. Washington, and is the ONLY  University in the nation registered with the National Park Service. There will be an effort to preserve much of the history of the civil rights era, with plans for other projects... Pretty cool!

2. This week while thinking about connectivity I challenged myself to make a quick D.I.Y. People often ask how I make things, so why not pass on this skill. While mapping this week I made a pair of copper and clay earrings, and took pictures for each step. The video is posted here, as well as below let me know what you guys think!

3. I have been watching this youtube video all week on how to make a name chain. My name and my daughters name are both uncommon, so if I want anything it has to be made. I have been wanting to make us both necklaces so this video is helping to map out the process. I will let you know if i ever get to them!

4. Pinterest!! If you have not at least checked it out for fear of sensory overload don't worry. As an afterschool educator I find so many easy, and quick ideas for short activities, or things that I can weave into larger projects. Here are just two activities I have used from Pinterest.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/408209153701505160/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/408209153698380890/

5.Lastly, I have this Old document I found in a thrift store years ago that dates back to 1829. The document itself is not much, its an old land agreement, but the look of it, and what the world was like when it was written is what inspires me. It makes me think about what we will leave behind as 'antiques' when are children are in charge of the world, but more importantly what that world will look like!




No comments:

Post a Comment