Thursday, January 28, 2016


Lately I have come to realize that no matter how much I try, for the life I me I can never be a quite participant in anything I'm involved in. There has always been something inside of me that has to be heard. Its like a sickness sometimes. It comes from my life as a person of color living in what I consider to be very unsettling times for people like me.

The idea of connected learning and equity makes me feel very pessimistic. Maybe it could be because I am still trying to grasp this idea of connected learning. Or maybe it could be because the word equity to me is something that is intangible, like the treasure at the end of the rainbow, or untouchable like the mob. Many have fought, battled and died trying to make this world a more equitable place, yet the systems of oppression remain. This is why it is hard for me to think about connected learning and equity in the same sentence.  Nothing in this society is based on equality, and until those who are in power relinquish the lion-share in favor of everyone i feel we can never have a true conversation. It could also be because I know that all voices aren't equal, and many don't even believe they have a voice...

As I read what I have just written, I realize how pessimistic, worst case scenario, doomsday I sound. Its based on how i was socialized, i guess. I am hoping as i learn more about the idea of connected learning, and its impact for people like me, i will become more less pessimistic.

1 comment:

  1. I love the honesty in this post! Although I can't quite say that "I get it," I do hear what you're saying and can understand the feeling of questioning the equity, and also the connected part. I think the concept of connected learning sounds fantastic. HOWEVER, I do think participation comes from within. In class, you either have kids who are constantly calling out, raising hands, etc. Then you have the one or two who cringe at the thought of having to even say an answer to a yes or no question. It is always a challenge of mine to get those kids to come out of their shell. Yes, we can try all sorts of get-to-know you activities, etc. but, to some degree, we are who we are and sometimes we just won't get participation from certain people- no matter how hard we try. I CAN relate to the feeling of being involved, but not participating. Maybe we will all learn skills and strategies that will help us break barriers and get everybody feeling connected.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete